Friday, November 13, 2015

Super Nintendo - From Yellow to Reborn

Sooooo, it took around 2 weeks to clean a SNES and it could have been shorter if we had sunny days... instead of natural UV light I had to use a UV light bulb which is not that efficient. Other than this the procedure was kinda the same as with the C64. Basically this is the short version of the SNES Story.

Longer version:
I was happy when I received the special screwdrivers and finally was able to dismount the SNES.
Everything started with a dirty-dusty, yellowed machine:


As I already mentioned in a previous post, it was fairly easy to clean the cartridge slot with earbuds and compressed air, so the SNES was in a good working condition but the plastic was, well, just look at the photo...

Disassembly is easy if you have the right tools:


However, I still don't understand why it was necessary to use 2 different type of screws (check previous post).

Surprisingly, the interior wasn't that dusty as I expected. A slight push of the compressed air bottle and a soft brush touch did the job well.


And then... no sunshine for days... what a sad week was that. I mounted the UV light to the slot, moved my bed from the bedroom to the kitchen and put the cardboard box into the bedroom.

For a few days only.
Then a bit more...

Cardboard box and aluminium foil interior, it helps to reflect the UV light to EVERYWHERE.


Switch on the UV light:


And we wait.

Still wait.

Even more...

After 6-7 days I was fed up with this procedure and cleaned the plastic parts from the cream, using a lot of warm temperature water in the bathtub.
Result:


After reassembly:


And... what is that..? Oh, no, again...


A leftover screw...
I have no idea where it belongs. Really. There were no empty slots, no holes, nothing. All I can think of this screw belongs to another device. Hopefully.

But at least the SNES works fine, I played with many games since I cleaned it.

Conclusion:
  • SNES disassembling is easy
  • UV light bulb s*cks. Should use natural UV light or a lot more powerful bulb.
  • Clean the plastic after 2 days and re-apply the cream again to achieve more even whitening
  • SNES parts are a bit harder to reassemble, it has more parts and it's a bit more complicated inside than a C64
  •  SNES is fun. SNES is a robust machine.
  • Aluminium foil is great, it reflects the UV light and spreads it everywhere.


.....


Today's slightly annoying music: Pac-Man DX soundtrack
 


1 comment:

  1. Perspex shelf, and more lighting...more uv.. .more....more 😊

    ReplyDelete